Be involved in projects with our Transportation Facilities Group and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges.
WSP USA is seeking a highly energetic, self-motivated, and goal oriented Architect for the Transportation Facilities Group in the New York office. With the intimacy of a small group of staff, along with the support of a large firm, this is an excellent and unique opportunity for the right candidate to challenge themselves and to grow their career.
The Transportation Facilities Group (TFG) leads and design projects that supports local and regional growth initiatives through small and large transportation projects. Our goal is to team with our agency clients and to develop solutions to the complex challenge of advancing transportation throughout the region. TFG has over 60 engineers and architects throughout the Northeast Region, with major design hubs located in New York City, Boston, St Louis and San Francisco.
The position offers varied projects in the transportation field within the NY Metro Region. The Associate Consultant, Architect position will work under the supervision of a senior architect and includes designs in rail and bus stations, pre-k and higher education projects, airports, transportation hubs, rail systems, as well a wide array of projects that lead and support the engineering divisions. Clients include NYCT, MTA Bus, LIRR, MNR, PANY&NJ, Amtrak, NYC SCA, and local utilities. The scale of work varies from small to very large projects and offers the candidate the ability to continually switch between multiple project types on any given day, and offers tremendous exposure to varied disciplines within the New York Office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development of Architectural drawings and specifications including renderings and presentation boards;
- Code compliance for new construction and renovations of transportation related facilities;
- Perform local and/or regional site inspections/investigations of projects
- Attend meetings
- Project Coordination
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Typical projects types include:
- Transportation segments include rail, bus, airports and marine ports; Facility building types include administration buildings, tolling structures, parking structures, bus and rail stations including associated maintenance facilities, ancillary buildings, vent buildings, etc.;
- Pre-K through higher education school buildings;
- Low rise office buildings as well as office fit outs;
- Resiliency related studies and design;
- Parks and recreation centers.
Growth Opportunities include:
- Develop into the architectural lead on projects;
- Manage junior staff to deliver projects on time;
- Assist on the development of proposals
Talent is the essence of meeting our client's objectives, goals and challenges. If this sounds like a fit for you, we'd love to have that first discussion of you joining our team.
Who You Are
- Bachelor of Architecture or Bachelor of Arts/ Science in Architecture with a Masters in Architecture
- 1 to 3 years of relevant post education experience in architecture, transportation experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of architectural principles, practices, process, and the application to project work-related issues.
- Familiarity with building planning, drawing standards, design, and construction management; including restorative and new design.
- Competent creative, visualization, and technical drawing skills.
- Knowledge of construction drawing standards.
- Highly familiar with relevant building and construction laws, codes including NY State and NYC Building codes, regulation, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, technology, math principles, graphics, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Solid understanding of architectural tools (AutoCAD, REVIT, SketchUp, Microstation, Adobe Creative Suite).
- Self-starter, able to work independently and able to multi-task.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Prior design experience.
- A member of and/or actively participate in local professional practice organizations.
- Detailed experience related in architectural building design and rehabilitation with construction exposure a plus.
- Experience within the transportation industry is also a plus.