WSP is currently initiating a search for a Full-Time Fire Protection Engineer for our Arlington,VA and Columbia, MD offices.
Be involved in projects with our Fire and Life Safety Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
This opportunity provides technical assistance and guidance for multi-site/phase due diligence, design, development, building, testing, and inspecting of fire and life safety systems on building projects in the public and private sector. Responsibilities include the research, design, concept development, planning, installation, operation, maintenance, and optimal integration of automatic sprinkler, fire alarm, mass notification systems, smoke control, egress analysis, and building and fire code analysis review and compliance. Substantiates reports and documentation regarding installation, construction, and operation specifications. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards for design, safety, and functionality.
- Interpretation of building code, life safety, and fire code requirements. This will include familiarity with both ICC and NFPA codes, including IBC and NFPA 101.
- Review of architectural drawings for compliance with building and fire code requirements
- Negotiating with authorities having jurisdiction on fire safety designs and proposals.
- Producing with limited guidance fire safety strategy documents to inform and support the chosen building form throughout the design process.
- Design of fire protection and life safety systems including automatic fire sprinkler systems, fire detection and alarm systems, smoke management systems, and egress systems.
- With minimal support, carrying out and reviewing fire engineering calculations including smoke modeling and evacuation analysis from simple hand calculations to complex 3D computational modeling.
- Assist in the commissioning of fire protection and life safety systems in commercial, institutional and industrial facilities.
- Directly interfacing with the client.
- Organizing in-house resources.
- Following quality control review processes of all project documentation.
- Developing project proposals and budgets.
- Conducting financial management of all projects.
- Mentoring junior staff.
- Preparing technical reports/specifications.
- Participating in department initiatives.
- Contributing to the overall business development of the company.
Who You Are
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Fire Protection Engineering or related engineering degree.
- 3 - 6 years of fire protection and life safety consulting experience.
- Experience in fire protection engineering design applications.
- REVIT and AutoCAD proficiency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- P.E. License is preferred.
- Health care consulting and design experience preferred.