Be involved in projects with our Environmental Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring the right people to be part of our future-focused business objectives. Our devotion to teamwork has allowed us to build communities and expand our skylines. Here at WSP, anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Environmental Scientist for our Williston or Bismarck, North Dakota office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support on a variety of emergency spill response, environmental compliance, and regulatory permitting projects in North Dakota.
- Provide environmental site assessments and investigations, collection of environmental data, preparation of technical reports, and completion of regulatory documents and permit applications.
- Manage field activities for emergency spill response projects involving hydrocarbon and saltwater releases from oil & gas well pads and pipeline operations.
- Serve as field lead for work involving spill response, site assessment and remediation, monitoring well installations, soil and groundwater sampling, reclamation, waste management, SPCC Plans, SWPPPs, Phase I & II ESAs, NORM surveys, LDAR inspections, and other various environmental related projects.
- Interface with clients, regulators, and WSP staff to meet task, schedule, and budget requirements.
- Communicate with external clients in relation to project deliverables, potential problems, and managing client expectations.
- Knowledge of field practices related to soil, surface water, and groundwater sampling.
- Proficiency with Microsoft products and strong technical writing and data analysis skills.
- Field work, including potential extended assignments with overnight travel, will be required.
- Experience with emergency spill response involving crude oil and saltwater releases is preferred.
- Applicants must be capable of effectively representing themselves in a professional setting and must possess good communication skills.
- Candidate must be highly motivated and driven while interacting with colleagues to arrive at solutions to complex project problems.
- Understanding of North Dakota environmental regulatory structure involving spill cleanups is a plus.
- Introduction into project management is a plus.
- Fulfillment of the position's responsibilities may require working in adverse weather conditions.
- Applicants must be able to work in locations that feature the rough terrain typical of construction sites and to enter and work within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities.
- Job assignments may involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. Participation in an OSHA-mandated medical surveillance program will be required, and safety training will be provided before being assigned to work on these sites. Applicants must be able to wear a full-face respirator.
- Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients.
Talent is the essence of meeting our client’s objectives, goals and challenges. If this sounds like a fit for you, we’d love to have that first discussion of you joining our team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, Natural Resources, or similar scientific/engineering disciplines.
- 0 to 3 years of experience in the environmental consulting industry is preferred but not required.
- Valid US driver’s license.
- Certifications desired: OSHA 40-Hour HAZWOPER Training with current 8-Hour Refresher Training, DOT Hazardous Materials Training; CPR and First Aid Training, One Basin, One Way! Training, and other related environmental certifications.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the transportation, buildings, energy, water and environment sectors. With nearly 9,500 people in 150 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com/usa
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be a key piece in our meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA Inc., WSP USA Buildings Inc., and WSP USA Services Inc. (collectively “WSP USA”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.