Be involved in projects with our Transportation Facilities Group and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Sr. Consultant, Architect for our New York City office. With the intimacy of a small group of staff, along with the support of a large firm, this is an excellent and unique opportunity for the right candidate to challenge themselves and to grow their career.
The Transportation Facilities Group (TFG) leads and designs projects that support local and regional growth initiatives through small and large transportation projects. Our goal is to team with our agency clients and to develop solutions to the complex challenge of advancing transportation throughout the region. TFG has over 60 engineers and architects throughout the Northeast Region, with major design hubs located in New York City, Boston, St Louis and San Francisco.
The candidate will lead design teams, discipline coordination, review of architectural designs and code compliance, and overseeing the development of construction documents, including specifications for renovations and new construction of transportation type facilities, Leading technical proposals and business development activities, internal and external client meetings, architectural management of projects and assigned staff, design of simple to complex projects, including above and below ground structures, coordination among various disciplines, and contract documents development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading design teams, discipline coordination, review of architectural designs and code compliance;
- Overseeing the development of construction documents, including specifications for renovations and new construction of transportation type facilities;
- Leading technical proposals and business development activities;
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Typical projects types include:
- Transportation segments include rail, bus, airports and marine ports; Facility building types include administration buildings, tolling structures, parking structures, bus and rail stations including associated maintenance facilities, ancillary buildings, vent buildings, etc.;
- Pre-K through higher education school buildings;
- Low rise office buildings as well as office fit outs;
- Resiliency related studies and design;
- Parks and recreation centers.
Growth Opportunities include:
- Work closely with office leadership to pursue opportunities and win new work;
- Become the go-to person for facility related work in the area;
- Lead high profile type projects with business impact
Talent is the essence of meeting our client's objectives, goals and challenges. If this sounds like a fit for you, we'd love to have that first discussion of you joining our team.
Who You Are
- Bachelor of Architecture is required; Masters in Architecture a plus
- 5 to 7 years of relevant post education experience in the learned discipline.
- Strong knowledge of construction drawing standards and building codes
- Solid understanding of architectural tools (AutoCAD, REVIT, SketchUp, Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Excellent communication and writing skills, attention to detail and highly organized.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and able to multi-task.
- Proficient knowledge of architectural principles, practices, process, and the application to project work-related issues.
- Experience with building planning, drawing standards, design, and construction management; including active involvement in a variety of restorative and new design projects.
- Strong creative, visualization, and technical drawing skills..
- Ability to make technical computations, renderings, and calculations involving the application of architectural principles; understanding plans and specifications, and making factual comparisons and illustrations to the appropriate regulations.
- Project management experience with small to mid-level projects including tracking hours and expenses for project work.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office automation, discipline-specific design software (i.e., MicroStation, AutoCAD, REVIT, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite), technology, math principles, graphics, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from data collation, feedback, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Registered Architect in NYS; NCARB certified a plus
- Transit architecture related experience