WSP is currently initiating a search for a Senior Archaeologist for our Kansas City, Missouri office. We will also consider candidates based in Chicago IL, Detroit MI, Minneapolis MN, St. Louis MO, and Cincinnati OH. Be involved in projects with our Heritage & Cultural Resources Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Manage heritage and cultural resource projects.
- Direct field teams on archaeological surveys and excavations.
- Develop and implement research designs for heritage and cultural resource studies
- Assist with development and scoping of medium-sized projects
- Interact with clients, landowners, contractors, and others
- Work with tribal monitors and representatives
- Help clients comply with state and federal regulations
- Prepare and assist with completing cultural resources survey reports, data entry, impact assessment, and permitting activities for assigned projects (e.g. CEQA, NEPA, etc.).
- Perform professional archaeological work and conduct investigations, inspections, studies, and surveys to gain further information on a particular cultural resources problem or issue, verify site characteristics, and/or to plan for various historical preservation and environmental issues.
- Interact with regulatory and historical preservation agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a confident and professional manner.
Who You Are
- Master’s Degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, historic preservation, or a related field.
- 5-7 years of relevant post-education experience in the context of Section 106/110 compliance.
- 5-7 years of experience in CRM archaeology, preferably in the Midwest.
- Thorough understanding of regulatory framework for heritage resource management compliance.
- Prior experience with GIS software and Trimble GPS units, sub-meter GPS, R1, ArcGIS Fieldmaps, Survey123, and assorted other field applicable technologies.
- Proven project delivery track record.
- Successful client engagement and business development.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Management of interdisciplinary project teams.
- Highly capable self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most effective solutions to accomplish objectives of assigned projects.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Ph.D. is preferred.
- Preference will be given to a specialist with clearly defined knowledge, skills and abilities as evidenced through publications/presentations and work experience in the Central United States.
- Active participation in professional practice organizations.