WSP is currently initiating a search for a Civil Engineer in our Baltimore, MD office. This position is to provide ongoing project design support on various projects for transportation agencies in the Baltimore Metropolitan area. Be involved in projects with our Transportation Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Perform standard engineering design techniques and procedures for small projects or selected segments of a larger projects under limited supervision.
- Develop design criteria and perform design duties using applicable design software packages.
- Review drawings to assure compliance with specifications.
- Prepare technical reports, sketches and perform calculations for a detailed segment of projects.
- Assist with analyzing data, preparing plans, specifications, cost estimates, and bid packages.
- Ensure that production of specifications, reports and analyses meet scope, schedule, cost and quality requirements.
- Discuss and propose solutions with project teams and coordinate with other disciples to solve technical issues.
- Support proposal and business development on a variety of projects.
- Interface with clients and contractors as needed.
- Conducting research and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, and construction or operating permits.
- Write technical reports summarizing research with findings and conclusions, generating complete, accurate, and concise documentation using sketches, calculations, electronic systems, spreadsheets, and software.
- Assist technical staff and project managers with risk identification and assessment, offering input and analysis with design concepts, construction, mitigation and improvement activities, and remediation projects.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and planners on projects with infrastructure authorities on Federal, State, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant post education experience.
- Engineer in Training certification or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Experience with discipline-specific design software including MicroStation and AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Familiar with relevant civil construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Capable self-leadership with attention to detail, accuracy, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master's Degree.
- A member of and/or actively participate in local professional practice organizations. #LI-MO1