WSP is currently initiating a search for a Construction Inspector for our Houston, Texas office, to be involved in projects with our Texas PM/CM Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Conduct construction inspection and observation of highway and/or bridge construction work for compliance with Client plans, specifications and contract documents; Inspection includes but is not limited to earthwork operations, hot mix asphalt, concrete structures, concrete placements, base course, subgrade preparation, guardrail installation, culverts and drainage structures, curb and gutter, sidewalk, striping, utilities, traffic control and related highway construction work.
- Interpret plans, specifications and contract documents to verify contract compliance.
- Prepare daily work reports; prepare and maintain documentation of contractor work performed, materials testing and traffic control based on construction plans and specifications; using E-Builder, SiteManager, spreadsheets, or other electronic or manual means.
- Provide documentation and support to assist in preparation of monthly estimates of work completed
- Assist with coordinating materials sampling and testing and verifying sufficient testing has been performed
- May perform sampling of concrete, soils, aggregate and asphaltic materials in conformance with Client specifications and procedures
- Prepare and document work item quantities accepted and approved for payment; prepare and report pay quantities, prepare revised structure lists and research project documentation
- Keep supervisor fully informed of contractor activity; recommend acceptance or rejection of work items; prepare documentation in support of monthly pay estimates and change orders
- Coordinate with the contractor and the project manager to identify and resolve construction issues
- Maintain positive public relations
- Verify contractor compliance with safety rules and regulations
- Comply with WSP and contract safety and health standards and requirements
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs
Who You Are
- High School Diploma.
- Minimum of 7 years of highway and bridge construction inspection experience
- Knowledge and experience in application of TxDOT Standard Specifications, construction standards, and construction documentation requirements and procedures
- Experience delivering TxDOT construction inspection
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Excellent construction inspection principles, field inspection practices, process, methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of relevant construction codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Competent interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Competent self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Analytical mindset to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, spreadsheets, technology, and tools.
- Capable critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from inspection and testing results, data collation, load calculations, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Ability to provide input and feedback to others in the field such as subcontractors and work colleagues to consistently complete tasks safely, efficiently, and accurately according to specifications.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Experience delivering Harris County construction inspection
- Site Manager experience
- E_Builder experience