WSP is currently initiating a search for a Mechanical Engineer (Buildings) for our York, PA and Baltimore, MD office. WSP works closely with architects and owners from around the world on high quality, high-profile, complex projects with a focus on sustainability and energy performance of the built environment. This is an excellent opportunity for a proficient engineer to influence production of engineering design for a national client base in an internationally recognized global firm in a field designated for expansion. This role will actively participate in the full project cycle from the design phase through the final construction close-out on a wide array of projects including healthcare and higher education building projects. Be involved in projects with our Buildings Mechanical Engineering Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Work collaboratively with engineering teams on innovative design, specifically in sustainable, high performing complex buildings including healthcare, laboratories, mission critical, and higher education facility projects.
- Work within multi-disciplinary project teams to develop drawing and specification documents for issuance to architects, contractors and building owners.
- Plan and execute mechanical engineering tasks and contribute to a full range of mechanical design activities.
- Design of HVAC, plumbing, fire protection, medical gas, and related mechanical systems for complex buildings.
- Scheduling and selecting mechanical equipment.
- Automatic temperature controls system design and specification.
- Cooling/heating load calculations.
- Develop and maintain client relationships and attend client and stakeholder meetings.
- Write technical reports summarizing research and specifications with findings and conclusions, generating complete, accurate, and concise documentation.
- Asist technical staff and project managers with risk identification and assessment and offer input on design concepts, construction, mitigation and improvement activities.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical /HVAC Engineering or Architectural Engineering or related discipline.
- 1 - 3 years of post-education experience designing mechanical systems for the built environment.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and Revit.
- Knowledge of design of HVAC systems and automatic temperature controls for a broad range of commercial systems.
- Strong verbal, written, interpersonal and communication skills, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience including the ability to organize and present design information to clients.
- Familiarity with mechanical engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to projects.
- Working knowledge of relevant building, energy, and mechanical system and construction laws, codes, regulations, and compliance.
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Capable self-leadership with attention to detail, accuracy, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, and technology.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- EIT certification.
- Prior design experience.