We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood’s Environment & Infrastructure business and Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Early Career GIS Analyst for our Topeka, KS office. The successful applicant will support our team using GIS analytical skills to map floodplains, prepare figures on hazard mitigation and emergency management activities, and coordinate with project teams to develop products from imagery, LiDAR, and other geospatial sources. The ideal candidates will have a BS degree in GIS, Geography, Environmental Science, Computer Science, or equivalent, around 0-1 years of experience, or any equivalent education and experience. Programming and relational database experience is also a plus. We are looking for someone who is genuinely excited and enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits and finding new solutions for our engineering (technology) related projects and clients. We’d love you to join our team of friendly, hard-working, dedicated, and collaborative professionals.
- Will perform both geographic and non-geographic data manipulation, management and analysis, cartography, and develop/use automated GIS processes using a variety of software environments
- Will use GIS software to map flood risk within flood-prone communities
- Will work in a production-oriented environment as part of a team
- Revise existing GIS layers and create new layers following established standards and procedures
- Correct geospatial location of features based on aerial photography or topography
- Will create high quality maps, GIS analysis, and data for reports to support a variety of Engineering and Environmental projects
- Maintain metadata and best practices to support systems and data
Who You Are
- BS degree in GIS, Geography, Environmental Science, or Computer Science
- 0-1 years of relevant experience
- Analytical skills, and familiarity with research techniques, modeling data, scanning and digitizing files, and experience maintaining records and databases with assigned projects required.
- Familiarity with ESRI’s Arc GIS platform.
- General awareness of AutoCAD, Python, Visual Basic, Arcade, or SQL programming.
- Capable interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a scientific and non-scientific audience.
- Capable self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with business writing, office automation and communication software, assorted field applicable technologies, web mapping applications and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Familiarity or experience with FEMA RiskMAP
- Direct experience using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, or ArcGIS Online
- Experience with presenting GIS findings/results in a collaborative environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project, and OneDrive • Experience with Python, C#, or other programming languages is a plus
- Experience with CAD software and data transformations is a plus