WSP is currently initiating a search for an Engineering Support Specialist to work at a client site in the Baltimore, MD/Washington, DC corridor and report out of either the Baltimore, MD or Washington, DC office. Be involved in projects with our Federal Programs Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
Visit this link to learn more about our Federal Programs Team https://youtu.be/KB7CcSJ45qw
Provides technical design and CADD support, guidance, and oversight to ensure the production of designs and specifications to be used for planning, transportation, infrastructure, and technical services business lines. Responsibilities involve overseeing and generating CADD designs on various multi-site/phase construction projects of moderate to larger scale, scope, and/or complexity. Generates and substantiates accurate and concise design phase deliverables including reports, technical memoranda, design manuals, plans and profiles, models, sections, details, specifications, models, and material lists. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards for design, accuracy, and functionality.
- Collect, compile, and analyze data from the physical work site, surveys, structural concepts, blueprints, schematics, data, verbal or written specifications, technical drawings, rough sketches, diagrams, and other matrices to support drafting and design activities for single, multi-phase, or multi-site project work.
- Use 3D computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software and work closely with engineers to resolve design details or discrepancies, and to prepare drawings which require a high degree of precision on projects of moderate- to large-scale, complexity, and/or scope.
- Follows standard practices to provide technical design assistance and guidance that accounts for the proper illustration, fit form, and function using geometric dimensioning, tolerance and quantity calculations, while ensuring the construction and maintainability of designs according to design standard specifications and code requirements.
- Acts as consultant regarding work progress and problem resolution; may serve as the only Drafting/Design Support resource on a project or assist in overseeing Drafting/Design Support activities for projects of a moderate/large scope and complexity within a district.
- Monitor and verify accuracy of calculations, design, change orders, interpretation of contract plans and specifications, recognizing moderate to slightly intricate construction or engineering problems and escalating or resolving any differences, errors, or technical problems for appropriate resolution.
- Work as an individual or as part of a cross-functional team to execute project work; occasionally leading tasks and Drafting/Design Support staff on technical assignments.
- Assure plans adhere to city code, state and federal regulations.
- Prepare multiple versions of designs for review by engineer.
- Monitor and oversee drafting and design plans to ensure quality control and contract compliance; documenting work progress and issues arising throughout scope of project.
- Work collaboratively with the engineer-in-charge and other technical professionals on assigned project phases, segments, checks, and tasks.
- Apply analytical techniques and software to solve more larger-scale and complex engineering issues on projects, or to modify or redesign existing designs in accordance with project standards and specifications.
- Engage in occasional contact with client and contractor personnel to schedule and coordinate project drafting and design support review.
- May attend pre-construction meetings and answer questions from contractors and other attendees.
- Provide guidance and training to entry-level drafting and design support staff.
- Remain current in latest drafting and design support knowledge, techniques, and practices.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- High School Diploma.
- Minimum of 11 years of relevant post education experience in discipline with prior drafting and design support experience.
- Due to client requirements, ability to obtain an active Secret level US Security clearance within 45 days is required.
- Advanced knowledge of drafting and design support principles, practices, process, methods and techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Strong ability to make technical computations and calculations involving the application of geometry and mathematical concepts, understanding plans and specifications, and making factual comparisons to the appropriate standards or regulations.
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Highly proficient self-leadership with attention to detail, results orientation, and managing multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, follow instruction, work independently, and comply with company policies.
- Advanced proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, technology, math principles, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Competent critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from data collation, calculations, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective and logical solution.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- This position is contingent upon WSP being selected for a contract or program we are currently pursuing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in closely related discipline is preferred.
- Active Secret level US Security clearance.
- Essential professional licensure/certification.