We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Graduate Environmental Scientist for our Kansas City, MO office. Be involved in projects with our Earth and Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Under general supervision, conduct natural resource field surveys collecting observational, spatial, and environmental data.
- Under general supervision, collect and compile samples of air, soil, water, sludge, and other matrices for analysis.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise measurement and documentation.
- Assist with performing basic professional environmental science work relating to ecological systems, air, and water resources, assisting with verifying the characteristics of a site and providing entry-level technical assistance on various environmental issues.
- Generate complete, accurate, and concise documentation using electronic systems and field/work site notebook.
- Comply with safety guidelines and site-specific procedures which include but are not limited to, the maintenance of sample collection, location data, laboratory or statistical documentation, and logbooks.
- Utilize the latest technologies and techniques in performing studies and analysis of habitats, sites, and potential impacts to the health of the environment and the population.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Ecology, Natural Resource Management, or a related life sciences field.
- Analytical skills, and familiarity with research techniques, local/regional ecology and habitats, and applicable species/discipline.
- Familiar with relevant environmental laws, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Competent interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a scientific and non-scientific audience.
- Proficient self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with business writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Travel will be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Able to perform field work, sometimes in adverse weather conditions, including occasional assignments requiring solo overnight and multiple overnight travel
- Must be able to pass a HAZWOPER physical and be medically able to wear a tight-fitting respirator.
- Must successfully complete and pass WSP’s Motor Vehicle screening.
- This role is subject to a client-mandated drug/alcohol testing policy. As such, employee may be subject to random drug/alcohol tests. A copy of this policy will be provided during employee onboarding and is available upon applicant request.