Sign-on Bonus Eligible! Be involved in projects with our Transportation Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a full-time Lead Project Manager to join our Detroit, MI office. This position is best suited for an engineer who is seeking an opportunity to work within a team-focused local office, for a large world-wide engineering firm. Career development, mentoring and employee satisfaction is key within our local civil group and the firm.
- Provide guidance with collecting, compiling, and analyzing data from the physical work site, surveys, blueprints, GIS data, subsurface utility information, maps, hydrologic analysis, geotechnical data, and other matrices for project development, design, and construction.
- Apply high-level civil engineering techniques and processes to identify improvements for various infrastructure project phases including concept development, preliminary design, final design, procurement, construction, and operation.
- Perform professional civil engineering work and conduct research and inspections of proposed and existing site conditions, resources, building, infrastructure, transportation channels, and operations to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, and construction or operating permits.
- Develop specifications, and cost estimates; preparing construction safety and phasing plans, and updating infrastructure layout plans that require coordination with owners, other disciplines, sub-consultants, and clients.
- Involved from project inception to completion in the management of design and construction of infrastructure projects, including rehabilitation and reconstruction, grading, drainage, pavement design, specifications, building materials, phasing, and construction safety plans.
- Develop and incorporate advanced technologies, monitoring devices, building materials, modeling techniques, design requirements, and operating strategies to account for the safety and functionality or end-users, transportation vehicles/systems, and implementing future-ready solutions with civil engineering design standards.
- Oversee and monitor cross-functional teams of engineers, planners, and scientific professionals to execute project work on mid-level and/or multiple concurrent projects, including budgets, tracking hours and expenses, task completion, cost and quantities of materials/equipment/labor, technical calculations, permit applications, construction, compliance documentation, and regulatory and technical analysis memos.
- Coordinate, review and approve infrastructure design plans, ensuring data integrity and work is compliant with all applicable codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Prepare data and visualizations such as tables, charts, reports, sketches, calculations, cross-sections, and other illustrations for the interpretation or presentation of more complex data, findings, or analyses.
- Prepare comprehensive technical reports and presentations that explain research, concepts, and recommendations to prevent, control, restore, or address engineering, design, and/or construction issues or opportunities.
- Analyze, evaluate, and interpret data obtained during field investigations, offering input with developing action plans for moderate- to high-level risk mitigation activities.
- Interact with regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a confident and professional manner.
- Collaborate with professionals, other engineers, planners, and infrastructure authorities on Federal, State, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects, as well as proposal and business development opportunities.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 7+ years of relevant post education experience in engineering and civil design.
- Engineer license required.
- Proficient with civil engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Extensive knowledge of infrastructure design.
- Experience with infrastructure planning, design, and construction management; including active involvement in a variety of rehabilitation, new design, and construction projects.
- Well-defined specific knowledge of relevant civil construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Well-developed ability to make technical computations and calculations involving the application of engineering principles, understanding plans and specifications, and making factual comparisons to the appropriate regulations.
- Ability to plan and conduct inspections and investigations on various aspects of the construction and design of facilities or structures, applying applicable regulations and policies
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Demonstrated high-level of self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Works independently with minimal oversight and provides guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Highly proficient with technical writing, office automation, discipline-specific design software (i.e., MicroStation, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, ArcGIS, InRoads) technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, computations, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Demonstrated effectiveness at coordinating and assertively directing subcontractors and others to consistently complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- Experience working with MDOT and other local agencies
- Active member of local professional organizations