WSP is currently initiating a search for a Mechanical Design Engineer for our Arlington, VA office. WSP works closely with architects and owners from around the world on large, complex projects with a focus on sustainability and energy performance of the built environment. Be involved in projects with our Property & Buildings Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Perform basic professional mechanical engineering work related to mechanical systems including surveying and evaluating existing conditions, selecting equipment and scheduling usage.
- Develop design drawings and specifications and provide technical assistance on various engineering designs relating to air distribution (supply, return, exhaust) and hydronic systems (chilled water, heating water, etc.)
- Perform cooling and heating load calculations.
- Utilize advanced analytical and design techniques to solve technical problems.
- Attend project meetings and interface with internal groups.
- Assist with collecting, compiling, and analyzing data from the work site, surveys, blueprints, schematics, data, and other matrices for project development and design.
- Assist with the development of technologies, modeling techniques, design requirements, load calculations, and operating strategies to account for the proper installation and functioning of equipment and systems according to specifications.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Engineering, or a closely-related discipline.
- 1-3 years of post-education experience in Mechanical Building System Engineering.
- Familiarity with mechanical engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to project work-related issues.
- Familiarity with relevant mechanical system and construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and communication skills, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Capable self-leadership with attention to detail, accuracy, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, mechanical design software, technology, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Working knowledge of Revit.
- Knowledge of load calculation programs.
- EIT Certification.