WSP is currently initiating a search for a Project Director, Sustainability, Energy and Climate Change, for our Arlington, VA office. The following locations will also be considered: San Francisco, CA; Boulder, CO; Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; Portland, OR; Bethlehem, PA; or any other WSP USA office location. This role will specialize in carbon markets to support the company’s growing Sustainability, Energy and Climate Change offering.
The successful candidate will lead client-facing engagements in the design, implementation, and management of carbon market sourcing programs. Candidates should be passionate about sustainability and resilience, self-motivated and self-directed, collaborative, and able to produce high-quality work products. Be involved in projects with our Climate Resiliency and Sustainability Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Managing client relationships and directing client delivery teams.
- Leading business development activities with existing and prospective clients.
- Develop carbon offset , removal, or supply chain reduction (“carbon instruments”) or criteria that establishes client prerequisites and co-benefit preferences and aligns with leading frameworks such as SBTi and Net Zero.
- Develop technical specifications and manage request for proposal for clients sourcing carbon instruments or developing carbon removal programs.
- Complete technical due diligence of carbon instrument proposals, including avoidance and carbon removal project types.
- Evaluate buy-side options for participation in carbon markets including short- and long-term procurements and direct project investment.
- Interact with carbon registries, programs, and GHG standards organizations to advise on protocols and program requirements.
- Identifying and evaluating opportunities for carbon abatement; analyzing renewable energy purchase options.
- Developing and managing sustainability programs, in addition to related strategies and policies.
- Designing sustainability performance targets including science-based and net-zero GHG targets.
- Contributing to sustainability disclosures and other communications aligned with leading frameworks (e.g., CDP, GRI, SASB, TCFD).
- Researching leading sustainability programs and initiatives, including new carbon removal technologies.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sustainability, Energy, Environmental Studies, Business, Public Policy, or a related discipline.
- 7-10 years of related professional experience including experience with sustainability, energy, and/or management consulting.
- Demonstrated expertise leading carbon instrument frameworks including Gold Standard, VCS, and CAR.
- Experience with sourcing carbon instruments for leading organizations.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate results via Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and related software and craft compelling presentations and reports.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects/project teams concurrently, and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to collaborate remotely across geographies and platforms.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Master’s Degree.
- Knowledge of evolving carbon removal types including soil carbon, biomass carbon removal and storage (BiCRS), and direct air capture.
Compensation and Benefits: WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career. Expected Salary (Colorado): $76,400 - $155,900