We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
Seeking a Senior-level Vegetation/Restoration Ecologist to lead our vegetation and natural resources monitoring program in our southwest US service area. You will be responsible to deliver consulting services in vegetation data collection, data analysis, reporting, and permitting in support of internal and external clients. The position focuses on coal and hardrock mine reclamation projects with opportunities in habitat restoration, wetlands, and soil carbon sequestration. The position is based in Southwest United States and the following locations will be considered: Utah, CO, NM, and AZ. This position also has the ability to support the mining team remotely. #Globalmining
- Manage a variety of vegetation monitoring projects on reclaimed mine lands and natural areas including field logistics, staffing, scheduling, data collection and report generation.
- Develop study designs, quantitative vegetation monitoring plans, and implement field programs
- Lead field programs with teams ranging between 2 to 10 vegetation ecologists and technicians
- Collect and manage quantitative vegetation data including data quality assurance, compilation, analysis, and interpretation.
- Generate specialized technical reports to meet the unique needs of clients.
- Provide health and safety leadership in the field and in the office
- Work collaboratively with other senior members of the Mine Environment team on mine closure and reclamation projects and pursuits. Establish links with other environmental and engineering business units to support and enhance service delivery
- Create detailed reclamation plans for local, regional, and international mining clients
- Effectively interact with clients, local and regional team professionals, and regulatory officials
- Nurture client relationships, actively pursue opportunities, and contribute to proposals and business development activities
- Potential for travel domestically and internationally
- Guide and mentor junior staff
Who You Are
- MS in Range Science, Restoration Ecology, Botany, Quantitative Ecology, Forestry, Soil Science, or related field. Also accepted are candidates with a BS having specific relevant experience in lieu of an advanced degree
- Strong practical experience in mine reclamation, plant ecology and/or soil science with an emphasis on field work or studies.
- 7 to 12 years of progressive experience in environmental consulting or similar industry
- Demonstrated experience with a variety of vegetation sampling techniques, field plant taxonomy, and familiarity with southwestern plant communities
- Ability to manage complex programs involving the collection and analysis of large amounts of ecological data
- Commitment to scientific integrity
- Manage multiple project assignments while maintaining flexibility to meet cost and schedule objectives
- Effective organization and communication skills, including technical report generation. Peer reviewed publications are an asset
- Work both independently and collaboratively with teams of scientists and engineers
- Experience with Enterprise Desktop and Web GIS Systems to develop and manage mobile digital data collection for fieldwork (e.g., ArcGIS Survey123, Collector for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Field Maps, Avenza, etc.) including applications, scripting languages, macros and programming tools for dataQA/QC, processing, export, statistical analysis, and visualization such as R, Python, Power Query, Power BI, C#, Excel, MS Access, etc.
- Willingness to travel and perform physically demanding field work for environmental sampling, site reconnaissance, and construction oversight projects.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is desirable: soil cover designs and soil, plant and root interrelationships; heavy earthwork construction particularly related to mining and mine reclamation; and seed mix development and revegetation seeding methods and equipment
- Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Essential professional licensure/certification.
- 40-Hour OSHA Health & Safety Training (HAZWOPER) (29 CFR 1910.120) preferred.
- Basic First Aid and Adult CPR training desired. #LI-BJ1