Be involved in projects with our Property and Buildings Engineering Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring the right people to be part of our future-focused business objectives. Our devotion to teamwork has allowed us to build communities and expand our skylines. Here at WSP, anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Sr. Electrical Engineer for our Arlington, VA office. WSP works closely with architects and owners from around the world on large, complex projects with a focus on sustainability and energy performance of the built environment. Project experience should include service utility coordination, power distribution, lighting and lighting controls, fire alarm, emergency power systems, and coordination with city and state permitting agencies.
- Perform professional and more complex electrical engineering work relating to the design of electrical systems for the built environment.
- Develop drawing and specification documents, d esign of electrical distribution system including one-lines and riser diagrams, and d esign of lighting systems including lighting controls system design and specification
- Design of electrical device placement including OFE equipment and mechanical/plumbing equipment and design of fire alarm systems.
- Perform electrical load calculations including on emergency generator systems, select equipment, and utilize advanced analytical and design techniques to solve technical problems .
- Communicate system design decisions to senior quality assurance staff to ensure proper application and adherence to project scope.
- Support senior engineers with research and recommendations of components identified in design requirements.
- Verify the characteristics of a site, providing technical input and guidance on various engineering, design, testing maintenance modifications, and construction procedures and issues.
- Develop plans, specifications, and cost estimates; preparing construction safety and phasing plans, and updating electrical infrastructure layout plans that require coordination with owners, other disciplines, sub-consultants, and clients.
- Work as an individual or as part of a cross-functional team of engineers, planners, scientific, and construction professionals to execute project work on multiple concurrent projects, assist with laying out installations, calculating costs and quantities of material/equipment/labor, and ensuring project work conforms with specifications, permit applications, compliance documentation, and regulatory and technical analysis memos.
- Provide guidance and training to entry-level engineers.
- Prepare technical reports and presentations that explain research, findings, and recommendations.
- Interact with regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a confident and professional manner.
- Remain current in latest electrical engineering techniques and practices.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and planners on projects with infrastructure authorities on Federal, State, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Architectural Engineering.
- 5 to 7 years of relevant post education experience in electrical building systems engineering.
- Licensed Professional Engineer.
- Experience working with Operations and project controls for purposes of reporting and proposal development.
- Proficient knowledge of electrical engineering principles, practices, process, design/build, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering and electrical construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Project management experience with small to mid-level projects including tracking hours and expenses for project work.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Highly capable self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office automation, discipline-specific design software including Revit and AutoCADD.
- Ability to assertively direct others in the field such as subcontractors and others to consistently complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- LEED AP Certification.
- Experience related to renewable energies and sustainable, high performing buildings
- Knowledge of AGI or other lighting calculation programs
- Previous Healthcare or Life Sciences design experience