WSP is currently initiating a search for a Sr. Mechanical Engineer for our Arlington, VA office. WSP works closely with architects and owners from around the world on large, complex projects with a focus on sustainability and energy performance of the built environment. Be involved in projects with our Property & Buildings Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
- Perform professional engineering work related to mechanical systems including surveying and evaluating existing conditions, selecting equipment and scheduling usage.
- Perform cooling and heating load calculations.
- Attend project meetings and interface with internal groups.
- Utilize advanced analytical and design techniques and operating strategies for the proper installation and functioning of equipment and systems, and implement future-ready mechanical engineering design solutions.
- Provide technical assistance and develop design drawings, specifications and cost estimates on mechanical engineering designs relating to air distribution (supply, return, exhaust) and hydronic systems (chilled water, heating water, etc.) and plumbing systems (domestic water, waste, vent, storm, etc.)
- Work as an individual or as part of a cross-functional team to execute work on multiple concurrent projects.
- Assist with laying out installation of equipment and ensuring project work conforms with specifications, permit applications, and regulatory requirements.
- Assist with development and scoping of medium-sized projects.
- Construction administration.
- Provide guidance and training to entry-level engineers.
- Prepare technical reports and presentations that explain research, findings, and recommendations.
- Interact with regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a confident and professional manner.
- Remain current in latest mechanical engineering techniques and practices.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Engineering , or closely-related discipline.
- 5 - 7 years of relevant post-education experience in mechanical building systems engineering.
- Proficient knowledge of mechanical engineering principles, practices, processes, design/build and the application to projects.
- Engineer-in-Training Certification.
- Working knowledge of Revit.
- Knowledge of load calculation programs.
- Experience with building planning, design, and construction management including active involvement in a variety of rehabilitation and new design projects.
- Working knowledge of relevant mechanical system and construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Ability to make technical computations and calculations involving the application of engineering principles, understanding plans and specifications, and making factual comparisons to the appropriate regulations.
- Project management experience with small to mid-level projects including tracking project hours and expenses.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Highly capable self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office automation, discipline-specific design software (i.e., AutoCAD, Revit), technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, load calculations, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Ability to direct others to complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Proficiency with technical writing, mechanical design software, technology, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Experience managing small to mid-sized projects.