We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood’s Environment & Infrastructure business and Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change. As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently seeking Water Resources Engineers with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) experience to join our highly collaborative team. The successful candidate will provide FEMA NFIP program support associated with flood risk analysis, mapping, and related services on projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, and Northeast U.S. regions. This position will be an integral member supporting contracts with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), including FEMA Headquarters and Regions 1, 2, 3, and/or 5 as well as numerous individual state floodplain mapping programs. This position offers potential for development in a great working environment and the opportunity to apply the latest technology to help our clients solve their most challenging problems. This role has the opportunity to be remote from any location within the US.
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling projects as part of the Risk FEMA’s Mapping, Assessment, and Planning (Risk MAP) program
- Execute one-dimensional and two-dimensional flood risk modeling software applications such as HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, FLO-2D, and SWMM
- Prepare floodplain and watershed studies in compliance with FEMA standards and specifications and assist with Quality Assurance and Quality Control for flood insurance study deliverables;
- Execute established procedures, perform of routine calculations and process GIS data necessary to support hydrologic and hydraulic modeling efforts;
- Efficiently work with ArcGIS software and extensions in support of flood risk modeling and mapping and other water resources project needs;
- Support Field Investigations including the collection and analysis of data used to support hydrologic and hydraulic modeling;
- Prepare project reports including engineering calculations, planning, and drafting technical engineering reports, research, and data entry; and
- Work with a team of Water Resources Engineers and GIS specialists supporting various planning and water resources, flood risk management and environmental restoration projects
Who You Are
- Bachelor or Masters of Science in engineering or related field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- 3-6 years of experience in Hydrologic and Hydraulic Data Development in support of FEMA Risk MAP program (PTS or CTP)
- Experience with HEC-RAS (1D & 2D), HEC-HMS, and ArcGIS
- EIT Certification
- CFM Certification
- Strong sense of urgency with ”Can do”/ “Get it done” attitude.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, proactive communicator and problem-solver
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated ownership and accountability for work
- Capability to work in a dynamic environment, including a demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide array of individuals from various backgrounds, including engineers; planners; GIS professionals; federal, tribal, and state government officials; and the public
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Must pass a drug screen, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company’s driving (MVR) policy.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
- Extensive Two-dimensional (2D) hydraulic modeling experience for FEMA PTS or CTP